Another year has gone and passed that we've been without my Granddaddy. Right before he passed on 1/14/09, I was able to share our exciting news about expecting a baby girl. He had always hoped for a boy, but the good Lord only blessed him with girls! Lots of girls- 2 daughters, 3 granddaughters and at the time, a soon-to-be great-granddaughter. This anniversary has been a little more difficult for me than the last two though. I think about him each night as I glance at his picture before bed and just wish some how that I could share my secret. That I could tell him we finally were going to grace the family with a bouncing baby boy. I'm sure he already knows- probably knew before we did, but I would love to hear his response towards the news this time. I'm sure he would be delighted beyond words...probably even say, "Whoopee," and clap with a big grin on his face. He was the best grandad and it breaks my heart that our kids will never know him. "I wish heaven wasn't so far away..."
2 comments:
Lea - I think I know exactly how you feel. It breaks my heart that Charlie will never know my Grandma, and learn to love her for the loving, feisty, strong, funny woman that she was, or even just share a bowl of macaroni and cheese with her, but I remind myself that for now he can know her through me...and someday they will share a heavenly feast -- and likely tease me through the whole thing.
Love you!
You're right, Jenny-- Love you too!
Post a Comment